MEETING NOTES - SEPTEMBER 12, 2017
Wednesday, September 20, 2017
CHESTER COUNTY CAMERA CLUB
MEETING NOTES - SEPTEMBER 12, 2017
Rhoads Building ~ Chester County Hospital
* PRE-MEETING - MEMBERS FORUM ~ Bob Kelly welcomed the group to the pre-meeting and asked everyone to please silence their cell phones.
* Anita Bower kicked off the Members Forum for the new club year by having members meet & greet other members they didn’t know by sharing their favorite photographs.
* Anita asked everyone in the room to share 1 goal for the new year. Bob Kelly would like to have all members email their goal to him; goal accomplishments will be reviewed at the end of the year.
* Anita asked the group for their input on ideas for future Members Forum meetings.
MEETING ~ Bob Kelly called the meeting to order and welcomed everyone to the meeting of the Chester County Camera Club. Again, he asked everyone to silence their cell phones.
* New members and guests ~ There were 9 new members/guests at tonight’s meeting. Bob Kelly described how the club operates every month (speaker vs. competition nights).
* Welcome Packet ~ Download the New Member Welcome packet – go to Club Information | Documents and Files to Download, and then click on the + sign next to “Miscellaneous” and click the download button next to “Document: Welcome Packet 2017”.
* 2017-2018 GOALS
* Continued excellence in core programs.
* Workshops ~ Our goal is to have 5 workshops this year.
* Implement new mentoring program.
* Paula Miller & Bob Kelly will chair the new Mentoring Program. We hope this will help less experienced photographers quickly grow by learning from more experienced members of the club.
* Fall Monthly Mentoring Meetings will be held in the Rhoads Auditorium from 7PM – 9PM. Each month will have a main presentation followed by one-on-one breakout sessions to address camera questions, photo techniques (portrait, sports, landscape, etc.), post-processing questions. Mentors & mentees need to bring their cameras & laptops.
• Wednesday, September 20th
• Wednesday, October 18th
• Wednesday, November 15th
* Upgrade technology ~ Many thanks to Matt Keller for revitalizing our light box. The lights are now white and bright. Prints will now show as the photographer intended. And thanks for researching and procuring the new laptop.
* Continue to ensure financial viability of the club while maintaining reasonable fee structure. Formalize Patrons Program.
* Club Outings ~ Howard Sundwall told club members that there will be at least 16 planned outings this year. He distributed the outings list to all who were present; he will also send out a PDF to the membership list. Members can refer to the CCCC calendar/schedule to see which events are slated for the future.
* Battle of the Brandywine Reenactment ~ There will be a club outing to experience the 240th anniversary of the Battle of the Brandywine, the Revolutionary war’s largest battle on Saturday, September 16 from 10:30-2:30 pm. A carpool will meet at Panara Bread in Exton at 10:30 am. Those who are not carpooling should plan on meeting the group at the Battlefield at 11:00. Please let Howard Sundwall know ASAP if you will be going, and if you will be going with the carpool. For more information, please click here: /club/Events_view.aspx?Eventid=e43613a5-1163-4c93-a8f6-992a57c587f0
* Outreach Committee ~
* Exton Library - Helen Wagner announced that the CCCC exhibit at the Exton Library will begin in the near future. Please check the CCCC website for updates.
* Helen also told the club that there will be volunteer activities throughout the year. Please refer to the website for postings.
* Competition Changes ~ There will be a new start time of 7:00 pm for competition night (usually the 4th Tuesday of the month). If you participate in the print competition, get there a few minutes early to submit your prints. This will allow for extra time to comment on photos.
* Comment Request ~ CCCC members will have the opportunity to learn why a particular score was given by having the opportunity to call for additional comments beyond the judge’s initial comments. This opportunity will only be available for print images (at this time) as our software cannot accommodate the recalling of projected images.
* Photographer of the Year ~ the scoring system to determine this year’s photographer of the year will be based on points per ribbon awarded as follows:
Points awarded for ribbons only:
• 1st Place – 4 points
• 2nd Place – 3 points
• 3rd Place – 2 points
• HM – 1 point
NEXT MEETING ~ September 26 at 7:00 pm, competition night! The theme for the evening is “Leading Lines”. A maximum of 3 entries per paid club member may be submitted no later than 11:59 pm, Sunday, September 24. The judge will be announced on Monday, September 25.
TONIGHT’S PRESENTATION ~ Carol DeGuiseppi , Vice President, introduced the guest speaker, Ed Heaton, who presented “IN PURSUIT OF AUTUMN COLORS."
Ed shared his beautiful images from his fall workshops and discussed the ins-and-outs of traveling to these beautiful spots. Ed is a full-time professional landscape photographer /creative mentor /educator and lecturer residing in Chester County, Pennsylvania. Along with being a Gitzo, Manfrotto and OP/Tech USA Ambassador, he's been hailed by Outdoor Photographer Magazine as a “Landscape Master”. For the past 16 years, Ed has been teaching workshops, seminars and classes, which truly reflect his passion for education and the art of photography. Learn more about Ed and view his fantastic images on his website, www.edheaton.com.
Minutes submitted by Stephanie Vacek, Secretary