Meeting Notes - February 13, 2018
Tuesday, February 13, 2018
Minutes of the Chester County Camera Club Meeting
February 13, 2018
Anita Bower introduced the Member’s Forum speaker, Jennifer Gidaro. Jennifer gave an inspirational presentation on the power of black & white photography and her approach to it. She demonstrated her workflow process for creating dramatic monochrome images that can convey a very different feeling than the original color image.
Vice-President Carol DeGuiseppi opened the meeting with introductions of guests. She then gave club announcements including two new photo opportunities:
· Jack’s Cameras in Exton invites all camera clubs to their “Feature Photographer Night”. They are featuring Photographer Tim Moody on Feb 23 from 6-8pm.
· An Invitation to all artists submit work and become inspired with “Artists are Always Right”, a new online journal celebrating art and creativity at ArtsistsAreAlwaysRight.com
· Carol DeGuiseppi reported on upcoming speaker presentations. The March monthly meeting will be held at West Chester University and will include a presentation by National Geographic Explorer Jon Cox followed by a private viewing of his work on display at the University. In April, we welcome Professional Photographer and Storm Chaser, Rusty Nelson, who is joining us as a guest tonight. And we will close out the year in May with a presentation on studio lighting and portrait shooting by Betsy Barron.
· Outings Committee Chair Howard Sundwall announced that reservations for the June 16 Coney Island Bus Trip are now open, and he has already received quite a few sign-ups. Anyone interested should sign up quickly. The next outing is Friday, Feb 23 – a private tour for photographers of Philadelphia City Hall. This includes, for those adventurous members, a trip up a rickety elevator to the base of the William Penn Statue and a view of Philadelphia from atop City Hall. Tripods are welcomed!
· Peter Guman announced two upcoming workshops: Sunday March 18 is the Framing Workshop, which Jim Samanen will talk about, and Saturday, May 5, Anita Bower and Nancy Cordaro will share their expertise in a hands-on opportunity to learn how they create extraordinary flower images.
· Jim Samanen described the upcoming Framing Workshop which will be held on Sunday, March 18. Jim exhibited various types of frames, and encouraged members to bring an 11 x 14 matted print and he will provide materials and training so every participant will leave the workshop with framing knowledge and a professional-looking framed image! There will be a $25.00 fee to cover the cost of materials.
· Carol DeGuiseppi announced that the next Mentor Meeting will be next Wednesday, Feb 21 at 7pm in the Rhoads Room. CCCC Member Jim Wilson will launch the session with a short presentation on “The Exposure Triangle”, then Mentees and Mentors will break into small groups to address any questions members may have about their cameras or post-processing.
Carol then introduced the featured speaker, accomplished photographer Stephen Perloff, a regular juror of photography exhibits. His presentation on how images are critiqued and judged led to an active audience participation of questions to Stephen about his decision-making process. Stephen then wrapped up the meeting with a fun photo gallery of images he took at last week’s Superbowl Championship Eagles’ parade celebration in Philadelphia.
Minutes submitted by Betsy Wilson.